Thursday, June 17, 2010

Saving $ for Stay at home moms

Now that I won't be working I really need to learn how to save in some creative ways so I thought I'd turn to the internet for some ideas.

Here are some $ saving tips.

1. Using coupons is just like getting a free bag of money. You might think of coupons as something you have to clip from the newspaper but many coupons can now be found online.

2. Buy Generic-Generic versions of everything from groceries to medicines are available at deep discounts.

3. Get Cash Back-Cash back sites like FatWallet.com, Ebates.com and Jellyfish.com give you money back on the purchases you make from your favorite stores.

Some credit cards also offer cash back incentives for the money you spend. Use these types of cards with caution, though, so you're not spending more just to get a portion of your money back.

4. Make Your Own Toys-Homemade fingerpaint and Play-Doh are just two of those do-it-yourself projects that can save you money. Making your own toys also provides double the entertainment -- one as a craft and one as something to play with when you're finished.

5. Save Money at Restaurants-To save money when dining out, eat at a family-friendly restaurant offering free meals for children. Order water to drink instead of sodas. With sodas costing $1.50 and up, a family of four can save at least $6 off of their tab before tax and tip.

6.Use a Consignment Shop-Many parents sell their children's clothes, books and toys through consignment shops. Most items are in such good shape, you can't tell another child ever used them.

7.Cut Bills and Banking Costs
Eliminate unnecessary bank costs. ATM fees, monthly checking account fees and high-priced check reorders eat into a paycheck when they can be avoided.

Save money on stamps and late fees as well. Pay your bills online or set up a bank draft so your bills are paid automatically.

8.Investigate Cell Phone Plans

9.Claim Dependents-Give your family an instant raise when your husband claims himself as a dependent on IRS Form W-4. Your tax refund in April won't be as large anymore but that money will be added into each paycheck for your family to use right now. Putting some or all of that money into an interest-bearing savings account is even better.

1 comment:

{The Christian's} said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging!! I love reading your posts.
I love to clip coupons. I used to enjoy getting the Sunday paper and sitting down w/ a cup of coffee and clip my coupons. Now, since we live in such a small town and don't get a Sunday paper, I get a lot of mine online at www.coupons.com
Thanks for sharing these tips! I am always on the lookout for a good deal!! :)